Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Apology from a Republican

Once I was proudly a Republican volunteer, then precinct chairman, later county chairman and, finally, even candidate under the Republican banner. I thought we stood for lean, honest, cost-effective government with low taxes and low waste. I was so wrong.

This $153 billion budget buys infamy for Perry, Craddick and Dewhurst as names among the most liberal in Texas' history. Of course, George W. Bush got the big spending ball rolling before he left to spend big in D.C.

How I long for the days of (former Gov. Dolph) Briscoe, (former Gov. Preston) Smith, (former Gov. John) Connally and other Democrats who were so conservative.

How I am so sorry that I ever helped elect this current crowd of worthless Republicans.

REESE TURNER JR.

No comments: